PDE is committed to promoting and protecting the privacy rights of individuals, as enumerated in Article 1 of the California Constitution, the Information Practices Act of 1977, and any and all other state and federal laws.
It is the policy of PDE to limit the collection and safeguard the privacy of personal information collected or maintained by PDE. PDE’s information management practices conform to the requirements of the Information Practices Act (Civil Code Sections 1798, et seq.), the Public Records Act (Government Code Sections 6250, et seq.), Government Code Sections 11015.5 and 11019.9, and other applicable laws pertaining to information privacy.
PDE follows these principles in collecting and managing personal information
- PDE collects personal information on individuals only as allowed by law. PDE limits the collection of personal information to what is relevant and necessary to accomplish a lawful purpose for PDE. For example, we may need to know someone's address, telephone number, and email address, among other things, to properly provide the services offered by PDE. Personal information, as defined in the Information Practices Act, is information that identifies or describes an individual including, but not limited to, name, Social Security number, physical description, home address, home telephone number, education, financial matters, and medical or employment history.
- PDE collects e-mail addresses. PDE collects and uses an individual’s email address to send them subscription materials, e.g. invoices, newsletters, marketing emails, etc.; they have elected to receive via our marketing platform. Users may subscribe or unsubscribe at any time. PDE will not give or sell email addresses to third parties.
- PDE does not collect home, business, or account information from persons who simply browse our website. PDE only collects personal information about individuals through PDE’s website if an individual provides such information to PDE voluntarily.
- PDE may collect some information automatically when you visit our website. The information that PDE may automatically collects includes the domain name or Internet Protocol address that relates to the machine used to access PDE’s website, the type of browser and operating system used, the date and time when the website is visited and web pages displayed.
- PDE uses Google Analytics to help improve PDE’s website. PDE uses Google Analytics to help understand how visitors interact with our website so that the site can be improved. For your convenience a link to Google's security and privacy policies is provided. You can choose not to have your data used by Google Analytics by downloading their opt-out browser add-on.
- PDE uses session cookies on our website. Whenever someone visits PDE’s website, a small piece of information called a cookie can be sent to their computer. The main purpose of a cookie is to identify and customize webpages for them. PDE may place and later retrieve cookies that identify you and your computer to PDE’s website. Cookies do not contain personal or confidential information about you and will only be used to monitor activity on PDE’s website.
- PDE strives in each instance to tell people who provide personal information to PDE the purpose for which the information is collected. At the time of collection, PDE also strives to tell persons who are asked to provide personal information about the general uses that PDE may make of that information.
- PDE only uses or discloses personal information for the specified purposes, or purposes consistent with those purposes, unless we get the consent of the subject of the information, or unless required by law or regulation or through a valid request from law enforcement.
- PDE uses information security safeguards. PDE takes reasonable precautions to protect the personal information collected or maintained by PDE against loss, unauthorized access, and illegal use or disclosure. PDE uses encryption to protect the security of individuals' personal information during transmission of such information through PDE’s Website. Such personal information is stored by PDE in secure locations. PDE’s staff is trained on procedures for the management of personal information, including limitations on the release of information. Access to personal information is limited to those members of PDE’s staff whose work requires such access. Confidential information is destroyed according to PDE’s records retention schedule. PDE conducts training sessions to ensure that proper information management policies and procedures are understood and followed. PDE requires all individuals to use appropriate safeguards and to follow secure computing practices.
PDE collects e-mail addresses to fulfill services request, as well as provide newsletters and occasional marketing emails.
PDE uses an individual’s email address to send those items such individual has elected to receive via PDE’s marketing platform.
They may subscribe or unsubscribe at any time.
Protecting Your Privacy
You can help protect your private information. Be sure to update your browser and operating system regularly.
For more information on how you can protect your privacy, visit the Privacy Enforcement and Protection page on the
Office of the Attorney General website.
Public Records Act
Any information we acquire, including information collected on our website, may be released if requested as stated in the Information Practices Act of 1977 (see Civil Code Section 1798).
Electronically collected personal identifiable information is exempt from disclosure when requested under the California Public Records Act (see Government Code Section 6250)
Links to other websites